Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Anniversary

May always marks my performance anniversaries.

Lady Monster was born in May 1992, in the basement of the Acme Art Gallery in Columbus, Ohio.
It was a performance art free-for-all - mash-ups, comedy, poetry, dance - whatever we could do under bare bulbs hanging from the rafters and a dirty cement floor. Holding paper bags with king cans of Budweiser, embraced with the smoke of 50 people smoking at once in a small space. We called it Cafe Ashtray. Every month I would venture to this space, becoming more bold each time. Finally in February of 1993, I started my own poetry event, Lady Monster Day. I continue to write and read my poetry aloud. Next up is Community Festival, the last weekend of June, in Columbus, Ohio at Circus of Cool on the I Wish You Jazz stage.
I may not always have burlesque in my life, but I will always have writing.

It also marks my burlesque anniversary.
I auditioned to be part of Heather MacAllister's Fat-Bottom Revue in January, 2005. I was accepted into the troupe in February. I had my first rehearsal in March, and premiered my first number (as a solo artist) in May. In September we toured the West Coast opening for blues singer, Candye Kane, were photographed by Leonard Nimoy for The Full Body Project book and I performed in Tease-O-Rama. One helluva way to be thrust into this new role as a burlesque performer.
At the Sex Worker Film & Arts Festival, I made my debut. I've performed mostly as a solo performer since then. When Heather was about to pass from ovarian cancer, she dissolved the troupe.
I've threatened to quit a few times, but after 8 years, I see no reason to stop performing burlesque now.

Please help me celebrate at two shows this month that are sure to be humdingers.


FIERCE! - The First International Queer Burlesque Festival
Thursday, May 2nd
Bossy Girl's Pin-Up Joint
2598 N. High St, Columbus
Doors: 8pm
Show: 9pm
I GO ON FIRST! DO NOT BE LATE!
Tickets are available here, and at the door.


Creme de la Femme
Friday, May 10th
Circus
1227 North High Street @Fifth Avenue, Columbus
Doors: 9:00pm
Show: 10:00pm
2 bands, 2 sets of burlesque. Stay for the whole show.
*I will be twirling fire*


Photograph by Leonard Nimoy, taken at the Hammer Gallery in LA. In order: Sita, Me, Roni, Heather, Ginger, Jukie

No comments: