Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Columbus

On December 25th I spent my Christmas moving from San Francisco to Columbus, Ohio. I was born and raised in Central Ohio, living in the OSU district from age 19 to 32. Then I moved to San Francisco. I lived in SF for over ten years. I moved on August 30, 2001 to begin a more serious relationship with Jello Biafra and to join SFSI (San Francisco Sex Information).

While in Columbus I volunteered for a few years on the hotline, outreach and newsletter for their former sister organization Columbus, Ohio Sex Information. What was supposed to be temporary housing at Biafra's, I ended up living there for nearly 4 years. I moved out and into my studio in the TL and remained there until the 25th. Living at that apartment is the longest period of time I have ever lived in one place.

Moving out has been one of the most traumatic, heart-wrenching, exhausting and brutal experiences for me psychologically. I am so grateful for my friends: Nicole, Marlon, Melinda, Malakkar, the burlesque legend Isis Starr and my she-ro Annie Sprinkle for being there and helping me SO MUCH. I couldn't have done it without your love, strength and goodwill. Thankful too that my father has been an extraordinary source of assistance. He and my family are very glad to have me home.

Why did I move? I have been looking for permanent work for 2½ years. I've had temporary assignments, independent contractor positions and worked very briefly for a very eccentric and verbally abusive elderly multi-millionaire. Then, my unemployment benefits were cut down to $200/week and I didn't feel like I could manage a living in SF on such a low income. Not only was this lack of income and work difficult financially, it took a toll on me emotionally. I moved to give myself a break and do some much needed healing and preservation. I have a meeting with an Executive at Limited Brands in January for a possible job. Right now, I don't care what job I get, as long as I can afford where I am (my rent is A THIRD of what it was in SF).

My life in SF was magical and not only did I make my dreams come true, I exceeded them far beyond anything I could have imagined in Ohio. I am bringing that magic back with me, and continuing it with the scene here. It a progressive and very queer town. There is a lot of art, music and burlesque happening and I'm excited for what the future holds. I am within a day's drive of NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Tennessee and more. I feel like I have a lot of room for growth with all that surrounds me.

Part of my vast network of support includes my friends and fellow performers. I have moved in with my old roommate in Clintonville with my cat Annie and am looking very forward to being part of the scene here. I already have several performances lined up for the next month. I look forward to reconnecting with old friends and acquaintances and creating new art with them.

Please send me an email if you need my new mailing address.

In the meantime, the chapter for Naked Girls Reading: San Francisco is closed. It is up to Michelle L'Amour when/if a new chapter is opened with a new director and cast.

Wednesday, December 28th:
Circus of Cool. Celebrate Krista Kitty's birthday at Dick's Den with live jazz, poetry, burlesque and MORE!


Saturday, New Years' Eve:
Viva Valezz and the Velvet Hearts present: Red Light Girlie Lounge
Wall Street Night Club, 144 N. Wall Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
In the club's 2nd level loft. 2 shows. 11:30pm and 12:30am.


Friday, January 13th and Sunday, January 15th:
SEXAPALOOZA.
Franklin County Veterans' Memorial

Saturdays, January 14th and 28th:
Rock-N-Roll Reunion
Ace of Cups. 2619 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43201

1 comment:

Bellatricksy said...

I'm so glad to see you landing/jumping in on both feet! I'm heartened to see you make such a big move with such a positive attitude, while acknowledging how tough it is. I'm pulling for you!