Thursday, June 21, 2007

Music Lovers

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE PODCAST

Ted of The Music Lovers was my guest this week.
Sorry for not being around much in June.

Last week I was in Las Vegas for the Miss Exotic World/Burlesque Hall of Fame competition.

On June 23rd I will be performing at the main stage for the Dyke March in Dolores Park (San Francisco) as a memorial to Heather (RevaLucien) MacAllister, founder of the Fat Bottom Revue, my former burlesque troupe.

On June 30th I will be in Columbus, Ohio. I am flying in to perform at the farewell show for Little Brother's. After about 30 years in business with Staches/Little Brothers, Dan Dougan is hanging up his hat. I will be performing burlesque. I will also be seeing a reunion of The New Bomb Turks at the Ravari Room, down the street the next night. Whoo-Fucking-Hoo!!

So, now back to our show.

I met Ted while performing burlesque at Margaret Cho's The Sensuous Woman show at The Empire Plush Room in San Francisco last year.
The Music Lovers are a regular fixture at her shows, playing original live music while Margaret and Princess Farhana perform burlesque routines.
Margaret has even filmed videos for The Music Lovers :
The Former Miss Ontario
Masculine Feminine

Oh, I miss those shows. It was so nice having Ted up to Pirate Cat for a visit, and to play some songs together. Hopefully he can come back with the whole band and give us a live set.

I decided to play songs that reflect The Music Lovers pop-sensibilities with excellent lyrics.
I brought numerous cassette tapes to play, however, I couldn't figure out how to work the cassette player in the studio. Thus, no Elvis Costello, Nick Cave or FELT.

However, I was able to play the following tunes to play. Thanks to Ted for supplying the Music Lovers tunes and Mink DeVille.

Julian Cope: Love's Incomplete (St. Julian)
Marianne Faithful: As Tears Go By (A Perfect Stranger)
Pat Dull & The Media Whores: Oh Robyn (Gimme The Whores)
Scott Walker: Next (Scott Walker 2)
The Music Lovers: Lovers of a Golden Age (world-exclusive premiere) (Masculine Feminine)
Mink DeVille: Walk That Little Girl Home
Sandy Bull: Memphis, Tennessee (The Essential Sandy Bull)
The Music Lovers: The Former Miss Ontario (The Words We Say Before We Sleep)
Verbow: Closer to Free (White Out)
John Doe: Kissing (Kissing So Hard)
Leonard Cohen: Diamonds In The Mine (Songs of Love and Hate)
Munly & The Lee Lewis Harlots: Denver Boot (Jimmy Carter Syndrome)
Tom Waits: Big Joe and Phantom 309 (Nighthawks at the Diner)
Flaming Stars: You Don't Always Get What You Want (Ginmill Perfume)
Haynes Boys: Jackie (Guardian Angel)

No comments: